3/08/2015

Orphans and Slaves or Adopted Sons and Daughters

"Now you are no longer a slave but God’s own child. And since you are his child, God has made you his heir" (Gal 4:7, NLT).

Galatians 4:7
Orphans and Slaves
Adopted Sons and Daughters
GodImpersonal, ruler, unfair, cruel.Longs to know me and spend time with me.
God's LoveConditional. I need to earn his favor.Unconditional. God is committed to me.
God's WordA performance manual.Assurance of his unconditional love.
DisciplineWhat I receive for not being good enough.God's love to help me grow and mature.
My holinessCondition for acceptance.Confident of his gracious dealings with me.
My identityDefined by the things I do or done to me.Reflection of his hope in me
SanctificationTry harder to change.My effort to live out who he says I am.
RelationshipsCodependent.Love from God drives my service to others.
Other ChristiansCompetitors to outperform.My siblings whom I love and trust.
AuthoritySource of power and fear.Source of love and protection.
GoalsSpiritual achievement.Living out my calling.
ObedienceTo gain acceptance or avoid punishment.Delighting in gratitude.
Suffering

Misery in proportion to my sins and transgressions.A maturing process.

FreedomIndependence. Doing whatever I want.Trust, love, sonship.
Repentance

Change to cover up my sinfulness.

Depend on God and his grace and mercy to deal with my sin.
Righteousness

Progress and failure based on my behavior and performance.Declared innocent. Credited/imputed to us.

Effort

Trying to change myself to improve and get better.My effort is on trusting who God says I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment