11/22/2010

Whom Shall I Send (Isaiah 6)

God's grace leads Isaiah from "Woe is me!" (Isa. 6:5) to "Here am I!" (Isa 6:8)

Isaiah 6:1-7 Isaiah heard the angelic chorus: "Holy, holy, holy"

When Isaiah was confronted with the holiness of God in the temple (Isa. 6:1-4), he sensed his impending doom, and cried out, "Woe to me! I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty" (Isa. 6:5). Holiness implies absolute moral purity and separateness above the creation. When Isaiah had a deep sense of his own sin before the awesome holiness of God, his sins were atoned for (Isa. 6:6,7). Do I daily sense God's holiness and my sins?

Isaiah 6:8-13 Isaiah heard the voice of the Lord: "Whom shall I send?"

When Isaiah experienced the grace of forgiveness of his sins, he heard the cry of God's heart for his people, saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" (Isa. 6:8) God's message to his people through Isaiah was a message that would harden their hearts (Isa. 6:9,10). Isaiah was to proclaim God's message until God's judgment and discipline is satisfied (Isa. 6:11,12). But a remnant would be preserved and set apart for God (Isa. 6:13) by the same grace that saved Isaiah. They are the heirs of God's promises to Abraham, and thus the only hope for the whole world (see 10:20–23; 11:1–10).

Posted via email from benjamintoh's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment