12/05/2023

Day 3 of Advent, 12/05/23: The Mystery of the Trinity (Luke 10:21)

  • My 2 thoughts and reflections and ChatGPT's rewrite for the 3rd day of Advent, 2023.
  • If you'd like a rewrite of what you write, try out ChatGPT and share both, if you like, as I did below!
Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children" (Lk 10:21).

1st, the mystery of our Trinitarian God: God the Son, through God the Holy Spirit prays to and praises God the Father. How is the Trinity relevant and how does this relate to man and his life? My simplistic thought is that since we are created in God's image, we are also "Trinitarian." We have head, heart and hands, through which we have cognition, emotion and volition, and so we can think, feel and do things. Unless my Trinitarian self is in sync, I can never have peace and joy, i.e. shalom, a wholeness in the totality of my being. If what I want (heart) does not coincide with what I know (head) and do (hands), I will never have shalom--peace and joy. If I enjoy the world when I know I should enjoy God, his kingdom and his righteousness, I will not have shalom. Sorry for being technical and cerebral!

2nd, God hides things from the wise and learned, and reveals them to little children. My grandson trusts his parents (and grandparents) without any hesitation, doubt or fear. They don't know how to dissemble (a great word to learn!), how to be one way and act another. They are who they are. In that way they are not like "the wise and learned," who know how to present themselves in a positive light, even if that's not who they are. I have to always ask myself, "Have I represented to others who I truly am, or have I mainly tried to communicate to others something that I'm not in my inner being?" That's what I need to continually work on.

Here is ChatGPT's rewrite of what I wrote: "Jesus, filled with joy by the Holy Spirit, expressed, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned and revealed them to little children" (Luke 10:21). Here are my reflections on the third day of Advent in 2023:

Firstly, contemplating the mystery of our Trinitarian God reveals a profound connection to human existence. God the Son, through the guidance of God the Holy Spirit, offers prayers and praise to God the Father. Considering our creation in God's image, we too reflect a Trinitarian nature—mind, emotions, and actions symbolized by our head, heart, and hands. The harmony of these elements is essential for experiencing peace and joy, a state of wholeness or shalom. Without alignment in our thoughts (head), feelings (heart), and deeds (hands), achieving true shalom remains elusive. When our desires (heart) align with knowledge (head) and actions (hands), we attain a sense of completeness, contrary to the absence of peace and joy resulting from pursuing worldly pleasures over a connection with God, His kingdom, and righteousness. Apologies for the technical and cerebral nature of this perspective.

Secondly, the idea that God conceals wisdom from the wise and learned while revealing it to little children prompts reflection. My grandson exhibits unwavering trust in his parents (and grandparents) without doubt or fear. Unlike those who may adeptly present a favorable facade, little children, in their authenticity, lack the ability to dissemble. This authenticity stands in contrast to the wise and learned who may skillfully project an image that doesn't align with their true selves. It prompts a self-inquiry: Have I genuinely represented my true self to others, or have I primarily conveyed a persona inconsistent with my inner being? This is an aspect I must consistently address and refine. 

On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 10:14 AM Benjamin Toh <benjamintoh@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear friends, This is Jenny's Day 3 Advent reflection. Please feel free to also share yours. I wanted to write one early but woke up past 8 am this morning! God-willing, I will share mine later.

From: Jenny Cook <jennycookubf@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 9:16 AM

My small reflection. In today's passage, we can hear an intimate communication among the triune God

21 At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.

Here we get a glimpse of the relationship among the three Persons of the Holy Trinity. Jesus sent out 72 to preach the kingdom of God in the plentiful harvest field. They joyfully reported to Jesus how God worked through them. Their simple obedience and joy of the Spirit prompted Jesus to praise his Father. God is pleased to reveal his love to the whole world. God is pleased to welcome those with simple faith to participate in his harvest work. God is pleased to reveal himself to the childlike. Lord, thank you for your forgiving, healing, and redeeming love. Help me to draw near to you in this Advent season to welcome Jesus anew in my heart. Use your harvest workers, including me, to share your love and grace today. 

From: Bishop Robert Barron <wof@wordonfire.org>
Date: Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 1:36 AM
Subject: Daily Gospel Reflection (12/05/23)
To: <jennycookubf@gmail.com>

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

First Week of Advent

Luke 10:21–24

Friends, today in the Gospel, we hear Jesus in intimate conversation with his Father. The passage invites us into very deep mysteries. Jesus addresses his Father and thereby reveals his own deepest identity within the Holy Trinity. He says, "I give you praise, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike."

It is important to keep in mind that this is not simply a good and holy man addressing God, but rather the very Son of God addressing his Father. We are being given a share in the inner life of God, the conversation between the first two Trinitarian persons.

And what are the "things" that have been concealed from the learned and revealed to the childlike? Nothing other than the mystery of Jesus' relationship to his Father, the love that obtains between Father and Son, the inner life of God. From the beginning, this is what God wanted to give us.

Word on Fire Catholic Ministries, PO Box 97330, Washington, DC 20090-7330, United States
Manage Your Email Preferences


.



No comments:

Post a Comment