12/17/2023

Davy 14 Advent, 12/17/23: πŸ”΄ Just How Great John the Baptist was (John 1:27)

"...among you stands one you do not know. He is the one who comes after me, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie." (John 1:26-27).

I forgot how great John the Baptist is while listening to Bishop Barron's sermon. He was so popular and influencial that he captured the imagination of the nation, so that they went out of their way to see him in the desert wilderness (Mark 1:5). People were so enthralled by him that they wondered if he was possibly the Messiah (John 1:20; Luke 3:15). Jesus even says that among those born of women there is no one greater than John (Luke 7:28). John had both appeal and charisma like the top Hollywood celebrities, as well as depth of character and substance like Gandhi or Mandela. In our age of social media and celebrity frenzy he could have marketed himself to become very rich, and more popular that Taylor Swift or Beyonce. It's as though people wanted to crown him the king of the world.

So what is truly remarkable is how John saw himself. He did not allow the masses of people thronging to him to swell his head. He was not in the least affected by fame, popularity, celebrity or his power of influence. He lived simply in the desert eating very simply (Mark 1:6), which convicts me. He dressed meagerly and was not caught up by the latest fad or trend. He does not suffer from FOMO. He does not feel entitled. He knew his place and he knew who he was: (1) He was just a "voice" (John 1:23), not the main event. (2) He was just a servant who is not even worthy of being Christ's servant (John 1:27).

John's life convicts me on too many levels. I enjoy and plan to eat what I like. FOMO gets to me, regarding new things--restaurants, movies, allocated spirits, special events. I am so used to comfort and convenience, and to being lax and loose. I get attached to people and things. But John was free to loose all things and to be who God wanted him to be.

Lord, help me to learn and practice detachment from people and things. Help me to learn and embrace simplicity of life. Help me to know that I am just a servant so that I can be free to be who you want me to be.

πŸ”΄: The Voice of One Crying Out in the Desert - Bishop Barron's Sunday Sermon

No comments:

Post a Comment