3/07/2018

This Is My Life

What is my life? What is your life?

Billy Joel captures our human sentiments with his song: "I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life. Go ahead with your own life and leave me alone."

By God's grace, I would like my version to be: "I do care what you say, I always want to care, this is my life. Do live your own life and let me walk alongside you." And if you won't, maybe I'll shed a tear.

In The Greatest Showman, Keala Settle sang the Academy Award nominated song "This Is Me" (Benj Pasek, Justin Paul).These are the catchy lyrics:

When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be, this is me
Look out 'cause here I come
And I'm marching on to the beat I drum
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apologies, this is me

As a Christ follower, Jesus' words capture my soul more than any other words: "I have come so that they may have life and have it in abundance" (Jn 10:10b, HCSB). "My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life" (Jn 10:10b, NLT).

How would I define and express the basic contents of my (hopefully abundant) life?
  1. My passion (what I want to live out): Testify to grace (Ac 20:24).
  2. My foundation (the basis of what I do): The whole counsel of God (Ac 20:27).
  3. My desire (what I want to do): Entrust to faithful people who can teach others (2 Tim 2:2).
  4. My hope (what I want to see): Noble people who examine the Scriptures daily (Ac 17:11).
What is my vision for the church?
  1. Enjoy reading the Bible (Ps 1:2; 119:97).
  2. Engage/encourage each other through studying Scripture (Heb 10:24-25).
  3. Enhance each other's lives (Jn 10:10b).
  4. Encounter God and fall in love with him (Isa 6:5; Dt 6:5).
How do I live out my one life?
  1. Read the Bible (2 Tim 3:16; 2 Pet 1:21; Mt 24:35; Lk 21:33; Ps 19:7).
  2. Read books (2 Tim 4:13).
  3. Read people to understand them and to be their friends (Jn 15:15; Prov 17:17).
  4. Respond to others softly and gently (Phil 4:5).
  5. Remember God's grace and kindness (1 Cor 15:10; Rom 2:4).
  6. Reflect/review my life often.
  7. Reaccess my life often.

No comments:

Post a Comment