7/26/2015

Verses That "Did Me"


"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock" (Mt 7:24). [A Rock Solid Life.]

What are some of my "Hear and Do" verses? These are some of the verses that "did me" (1 Cor 8:3; Gal 4:9) and that led to self-discovery, enlightenment and transformation:
  1. Gen 1:2. I discovered my true self: I was empty!
  2. Gen 2:16-17. This led to my conversion.
  3. Mt 6:33. This prioritized my life, along with Lk 9:23. Otherwise it is too easy to be driven by ego, selfish ambition, pleasures.
  4. 1 Cor 15:36. In some peculiar way, this gave me the courage and conviction to marry.
  5. Ex 20:5. This is my parenting verse. It helped me practice my two favorite pair of words: "fear and trembling" (Phil 2:12) and "humility and tears" (Ac 20:19).
  6. Mt 11:29, 28-30. Humility (and gentleness) should be the foundation of my character (Mt 5:3; Phil 4:5).
  7. Prov 29:25. I discovered the key to boldness and confidence.
  8. Jer 31:3. This gave me reassurance at one of the lowest points in my life.
  9. Mt 5:23-24. There is never any excuse not to always seek reconciliation.
  10. Ac 20:27. This gave me the motivation of the scope of Scripture I should strive for.
  11. Ac 20:24. This gave me a singular focus. Søren Kierkegaard said, "Purity of heart is to will one thing" (Mt 5:8).
  12. My trifecta of Grace (Ac 20:24), rest (Mt 11:28) and freedom (Gal 5:1; 2 Cor 3:17), in contrast to faith, hope and love (1 Cor 13:13). With grace I never have to prove anything to anyone. With rest, I am never tired or bummed out. With freedom I will never be enslaved.
"I fear that we have all been so seduced by the success ethic that we have forgotten that, in a very real sense, the church was meant to be a failing community." Desmond Tutu.

No comments:

Post a Comment