7/01/2012

He Saved Us Because of His Mercy (Titus 3:1-15)

Titus 3:1-15; Key Verse: Tit 3:5,8

"...he saved us ... because of his mercy ... stress these things, so that (we) may be careful to ... (do) what is good."

Because of his mercy, God saves us to do what is good. Do you comprehend the depth of God's mercy, so that your life overflows with doing what is good? A classical hymn (1958) says, "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days, all the days of my life." This is the happy testimony of every Christian who has ever tasted the mercy and grace of God.

Good works is a major theme or topic of the Pastoral Epistles, in particular Titus. Gordon Fee says (1, 2 Timothy, Titus, The New International Biblical Commentary, 1984), "The dominant theme in Titus ... is good works ... that is, exemplary Christian behavior, and that for the sake of outsiders" and "in contrast to the false teachers." It is "the recurring theme of the entire letter."

However, our good works or goodness always follows our realization of God's goodness, mercy and grace; our goodness is never the basis of God's goodness to us. (The BCD of teaching the Bible.)

In Tit 2:1-15, we learned that grace is the key that unlocks the Bible, that the grace of God is the key to our salvation. Tit 3:1-15 explains why our salvation is entirely due to God's mercy, and not to anything we have done. God's mercy is the basis, the impetus, the motivation, the foundation, and the driving force behind doing what is good. Let us think about the who, why and how of doing good as a Christian:
  1. Who we do good to (Tit 3:1-2): to authorities and all people.
  2. Why we do good (Tit 3:3-8): we are sinners saved only by God's mercy.
  3. How we do good (Tit 3:9-15): dealing with problem people and good people.
I. Who We Do Good To (Tit 3:1-2)
  1. Rulers and authorities. Christians should be subject and obedient to them as God's servant (Ac 17:11); "to be ready to do whatever is good." Yet we live to obey God rather than man (Ac 5:29). In our hearts we fear God, not man (Prov 29:25). Titus should remind them (Tit 3:1a) to live as good citizens. The Christian life needs constant reminders (1 Cor 15:1-2; 2 Pet 1:12-13; 1 Jn 2:21). The Bible stresses the importance of the reminding ministry.
  2. Everyone. We should be reminded often that our attitude and disposition toward all people should be that of Christ's attitude and disposition toward us. What should a Christian's behavior be in public life? In particular, Paul selects 4 Christian social attitudes which are to be universal in application:
    1. Slander no one
    2. Be peaceable
    3. Be considerate
    4. Always be gentle
II. Why We Do Good (Tit 3:3-8)

"Why" may be the most important question in the Bible? Why do we do what we do? Why should Christians be subject to ungodly rulers and authorities and be generous, gracious and good toward all people everywhere? If we do so simply because the Bible says so, it will likely not be sustainable. "The Bible says it, that settles it" may be a cute axiom. But some elaboration and explanation is needed, if not preferable and necessary.

Tit 3:3 begins with a conjunction "for" (ESV, NIV) which is translated in the 2011 NIV as "at one time." This key connecting word "for" is Paul's explanation why we Christians are to do good to all people. Paul's explanation and answer to the question "Why" has everything to do with the gospel of our salvation.

Tit 3:3-8 hinges upon the main verb in the key phrase: "he saved us" (Tit 3:5). John Stott states that this is perhaps the fullest statement of salvation in the N.T. Christianity is essentially a religion of salvation (Lk 19:10; 1 Jn 4:14).

Paul explains 6 components or ingredients of our salvation:
  1. Need (Tit 3:3). Why do we need salvation? As depraved and enslaved sinners, we can't save ourselves. Read each descriptive adjective, verb and noun, and deeply realize how no human being can ever deliver himself or herself.
  2. Origin (Tit 3:4). What is the origin of our salvation? It is entirely because the kindness and love of God our Savior has appeared in the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus. "Kindness," "love," "mercy" (Tit 3:5) and "grace" (Tit 3:7) are 4 tremendous words that reveal that salvation originated in the heart of God, who took the initiative and intervened on our behalf to save us at great cost to himself.
  3. Ground (Tit 3:5a). What does our salvation rest on? What are the grounds/basis of our salvation? It is entirely because of God's mercy expressed in the cross, and not because of any goodness or righteousness in us.
  4. Means (Tit 3:5b-7a). What are the means of our salvation? How does our salvation come to us? Key words: washing; rebirth (paliggenesia); renewal; Holy Spirit; Christ; justified; grace. Our salvation is clearly God's work and God's doing, through Jesus and the work of the Holy Spirit. Though we should not confuse justification (our new status) and regeneration (our new birth), yet the work of Christ in justification and the work of the Spirit in regeneration are simultaneous. The order of redemption/salvation (ordo salutis) proposed by John Murray, Professor of Systematic Theology at Westminister Theological Seminary, in Redemption Accomplished and Applied (1955) is (1 - 5 occurs simultaneously):
    1. Effectual Calling
    2. Regeneration (new birth)
    3. Faith and Repentance
    4. Justification (new status)
    5. Adoption
    6. Sanctification
    7. Perseverance
    8. Glorification
  5. Goal (Tit 3:7b). What is the goal of our salvation? What does it lead to? Become heirs (Rom 8:17), having the hope of eternal life.
  6. Evidence (Tit 3:8). What is the evidence/fruit of our salvation? How do we "prove" our salvation? Good works: We are always careful to devote ourselves to doing what is good. Works is not the root of our salvation but the fruit of our salvation.
Since I started an online West Loop UBF Cohort in June, 2012, about a dozen students from Philippines UBF have joined and posted their personal stories, primarily from Antipolo UBF, a church plant 2 years ago which is a 2 hour commute from Manila UBF, the main center. What causes my heart to be in awe is that almost every student testifies that the major spiritual influence in their life is Dr. John Talavera, who is a professor at Fatima college and the lead pastor at Antipolo. His life of doing good because of the mercy of God is evident from what some students wrote:

An 18 y/o girl Charisee wrote:

Major spiritual influence: Shepherd Dr. John Talavera. In my second year, first semester of college I was able to meet him. He was my professor in one of our subjects and he always invites us to attend Bible study. Once, I was about to enter the room but after I saw the arrangements of chairs in circle, I hesitated to come, thinking what am I going to do, being shy and everything. But God pushed me to go. Dr. John was our Bible teacher. I felt like he was another person speaking in front of me, different from my professor. He taught us about the Samaritan woman, about God's unconditional love for us! I was moved by Dr.John's words and so I continued to attend our weekly Bible study. Every time that I hear Dr. John testify, I really could feel the gospel sink in to me.

He also gave me my spiritual name, 'Faith,' which no words can explain how I felt when I received it. It gave me anxieties like: Am I worthy to be a bible teacher? Shepherdess? Am I growing spiritually? Am I really faithful to Him? And so on and so forth. But then again God used Dr. John to enlighten me. They were always there together with Shepherdess Hannah
Talavera, for me and my co-Igniters, ready to give us the words of wisdom we need. Having my spiritual parents, brothers and sisters adds to the joyfulness in doing God's work. From that moment I was born anew ... God's plans were totally amazing!

Jimmon, 19 y/o, who is the student leader at Antipolo UBF, wrote:

It was in the first semester of the school year 2010-2011 in Antipolo when I met Shepherd Dr. John Talavera. He was my professor in Anatomy and Physiology. I was amazed about his personality and attitude. I wondered why this professor of mine, being a doctor, is speaking about God and about a noble heart that a student should have. Whenever he caught us noisy and tardy in his class, I remember that he always says to us, "God wants you to be noble," and every time I heard that, I'm more encouraged to learn and to listen. I was a little surprised that, aside for being a doctor he is also a pastor. He invited us to attend group Bible Study every Wednesday and Friday. There I met his faithful wife, Shepherdess Hannah Talavera and also Missionary Susan San Marcos. God uses IGNITE Bible Student Society through the faith of these people, for us to know God personally. I also met Shepherd Dr. William Altobar and Shepherdess Sarah Altobar. During one of our fellowship, Dr. William encouraged me to attend Sunday Worship Service in the house Church of Shepherd Dr. John and Shepherdess Hannah in Antipolo. That's the time I started to grow more in Faith. I met many brothers and sisters in Christ from UBF Valenzuela, UP Manila, Caloocan, and all the members UBF Philippines. Now God graciously gave me a beautiful woman of God as my co-worker, Shepherdess Jhoana. I'm now more determined to know Jesus Christ deeper after experiencing His overflowing love and grace. I am also struggling to overcome the great sins of mine. I believe Jesus can heal me.

Another 19 y/o student, Pedro Luis Mayers, wrote:

God is so gracious to me because he called me two times before but I rejected it because my heart was so hard. Before, I was seeking earthly things rather than God before, until the third time God called me. He used one man who gives his whole heart to God. He become a blessing to many especially for me. This man was "Dr. John Talavera (Shpd John). He helped me to know more about God and to be with God. I've realized that I am poor because I don't have the most important thing in my life--God. God who is always there for me from the day that I was born, who provides all things for me, including my life. I've realized God's love is the best love that I ever have, that I was created ''BY HIM and FOR HIM.'' I've realized one day when I woke up that my heart was so thirsty for the word of God and I'm always seeking God. From now on I'm enjoying my journey with God.

John Talavera is genuinely doing good because of the love of God and the grace of Jesus in his heart. He is simply living out God's kindness, love, and mercy that he himself personally experienced.

To summarize again the 6 essential ingredients of salvation:
  1. its need is our sin, guilt and slavery;
  2. its source is God's gracious loving-kindness;
  3. its ground is not our merit but God's mercy in the cross;
  4. its means is the regenerating and renewing work of the Holy Spirit, signified in baptism;
  5. its goal is our final inheritance of eternal life; and
  6. its evidence is our diligent practice of good works.
Notice 2 additional aspects regarding Christian salvation:
  1. 3 Persons. Christian salvation is trinitarian involving the Father (Tit 3:4), Son (Tit 3:6), and the Holy Spirit (Tit 3:5).
  2. 3 tenses. Our salvation has a past (Tit 3:4-5), present (Tit 3:8), and future (Tit 3:7) tense.
    1. Justification: The past tense of our salvation is justification and regeneration.
    2. Sanctification: The present is a new life of good works in the power of the Spirit.
    3. Glorification: The future is the inheritance of eternal life which will one day be ours.
III. How We Do Good (Tit 3:9-15)
  1. Avoid foolish controversies (Tit 3:9). This is not a prohibition of all theological controversy.
  2. Warn divisive people (Tit 3:10-11).
  3. Oversee/steward God's church (Tit 3:12a).
  4. Free Titus to join Paul for mentoring (Tit 3:12b).
  5. Support/help God's people so that they have everything they need (Tit 3:13).
  6. Disciple God's people to be financially responsible and to live profitable lives (Tit 3:14).
  7. Promote true fellowship (Tit 3:15).
Do you know and taste and experience the kindness, the love, and the mercy of God (Tit 3:4-5)?

To be kind to us sinners, God had to be very unkind to His Son. To show us love, God had to withdraw his love from His Son. To extend to us mercy, God had to be merciless toward His own Son. How can we ever be unkind, unloving, and merciless toward our own children and loved ones? We would rather personally die than to hurt our children. God's love for His Son is pure and perfect, while our parental love for our children has selfish elements. Yet God did to His Son what we will never ever be able to do to our children. Why? So that He can extend to us kindness, love and mercy. When we taste God's kindness, love and mercy, our selfishness dissipates, and we want more than anything else to give of ourselves to "doing what is good" (Tit 3:8).

Questions:
  1. What are 7 civic duties (toward authorities and all people) that Titus is exhorted to remind Christians (Tit 3:1-2)? Why should Christians be genuinely kind and generous toward all ungodly people (Tit 3:3-7; Rom 11:30; 1 Cor 6:11; Eph 2:2-3)?
  2. Notice the 10 descriptive elaboration of sinners (Tit 3:3). Were you once like that?
  3. Notice 6 components/ingredients to our salvation: need, origin, grounds, means, goal, result (Tit 3:3-8). Also, notice the 3 Persons of God and the 3 tenses of our salvation. How did God respond to sinners (Tit 3:4)? Why (Tit 3:5a; Eph 2:4; 1 Tim 1:13; 1 Pet 1:3, 2:10)? What is the process and result of our salvation (Tit 3:5b-7; Eze 36:25-32)? What part do we play in our salvation (Tit 3:3, 5a; 2 Tim 1:9; Eph 2:9)?
  4. What should Christians stress, insist and be confident of (Tit 3:8, 2:15)? What is the irrefutable evidence of a Christian's salvation (Tit 2:7,14, 3:1,8,14)? How is this profitable (Tit 3:8b)? [5 trustworthy sayings in the pastoral epistles: 1 Tim 1:15, 3:1, 4:9; 2 Tim 2:11.]
  5. What 2 ways should a leader deal with foolish controversies? (Tit 3:9-10) Why (Tit 3:11)?
  6. Why might Paul want Titus to come to him (Tit 3:12)? How should leaders help their people (Tit 3:13-14)? What does Paul's concluding remark teach about true fellowship (Tit 3:15)?
References:
  1. Justified by Grace/Careful for Good Deeds (Tit 3:1-8), Ligon Duncan.
  2. Shun Foolish Controversies/Help Christians to be Fruitful (Tit 3:9-15), Duncan
  3. The Message of 1 Timothy and Titus: Guard the Truth. (Bible Speaks Today.) John Stott. 2001.
  4. Blue Letter Bible.
  5. ESV Study Bible. Login: westloopchurch@gmail.com; Password: 12001200

No comments:

Post a Comment